CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1897
Bryant, James, Settler, Ohariu Valley. One of the oldest settlers of the band of pioneers
who arrived in Port Nicholson in 1840. Mr Bryant still survives hale and hearty,
notwithstanding his great age. Born in Sharphan, Devonshire, England, in 1812, he became
foreman gardener of Sir William Molesworth's estate at Pencarrow, Cornwall. Coming to
New Zealand per ship `Duke of Roxburgh' on which he acted as doctor's mate, he was for
about two years employed as superintendent of Mr. Francis Molesworth's estate at the Hutt.
For twenty years Mr. Bryant resided in the Hutt Valley, during which he laid out the gardens
on Mr. Molesworth's property, now owned by Mr. Riddiford. He was eleven years in Mr.
Ludlam's service, and laid out and planted his gardens - better known as `McNabs.'
Afterwards he leased a large garden and orchard, but as he could not obtain a freehold, Mr.
Bryant removed to Johnsonville, where he had an hotel for three years. In 1862 he settled in
the Ohariu Valley, purchasing fifty-three acres of land, which he still holds. Shortly before
embarking for New Zealand in 1839, Mr. Bryant was married to Miss Pollard, a native of
Cornwall, who died in 1862, leaving six sons and four daughters - all married, of whom four
sons and four daughters still survive. Mr. Bryant has forty-six grandchildren and four great-
Return to General Index