CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1897
Mr. H. Campbell.
[Photo by D. Wilton, Masterton]
Campbell, Hugh, Sheepfarmer, "Ngaratanui," Upper Opaki, Masterton. The subject of this sketch is a well-known figure in the Wairarapa. Sportsmen will remember him as the breeder of such well-known racing stock as "Ngaratanui," "Shamrock," and "Minette," horses which have carried their owner's colours to the front on many occasions. As a sheepfarmer, he possesses in "Ngaratanui" a compact and handy estate, comprising 2500 acres of freehold, which carries some 2000 Romney Marsh sheep [a really first-class flock], and about seventy head of well-bred cattle. The homestead - a one-story wooden building of ten rooms - is prettily situated, and commands an extensive view of the surrounding country. Close at hand are the usual complement of stables, loose-boxes, woolshed, and other farm buildings. In public affairs Mr. Campbell is prominent, having for the past ten years acted on the Opaki School Committee. He was one of the founders of the Masterton Order of Foresters, and has several times been requested to allow himself to be nominated for the Road Board. A member of the Opaki Jockey Club, he was for some time also a member of the committee. On the showgrounds Mr. Campbell's stock has always been successful, he having frequently taken prizes for horses. He is quite an old settler in the Wairarapa, having arrived in 1868, previously to which he lived with his parents on their farm at Karori. Born in Antrim in 1840, he came to New Zealand in 1841 per ship "Lady Nugent," his parents being among the early colonists. Mr. Campbell is married to a daughter of Mr. Tankersley, also one of New Zealand's early colonists, and has two sons and three daughters.
Return to General Index