CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1897

Wellington Province



WAVERLEY:

CATHRO, Thomas

Page 1479

Cathro, Thomas, Bootmaker and Watchmaker, High Street, Waverley. Telegraphic address, "Cathro, Waverley." Bankers Bank of Australasia. Mr. Cathro is a native of Dundee, Forfarshire, and left there for Lyttelton in 1864 per ship "William Miles," commanded by Captain Babot, now so well and favourably known as Marine Superintendent at Wellington for the Shaw-Savill and Albion Company. Prior to leaving the Old Country, Mr. Cathro had learned his business with Mr. William Young, of Denhead-of-Gray, Dundee, completing his term in 1852, and had been established in business in Princess Street, Dundee, for twelve years. On arriving in the Colony he went into business in Lyttelton, and remained there twenty years, subsequently removing to Wanganui for a year, and then commencing in Waverley as above. Mr. Cathro has a good little freehold establishment of wood and iron, and keeps an excellent stock. He is the only bootmaker in the district keeping stock. He is an importer of all kinds of boots, from the finest shoes to the heaviest watertights. Besides being a first-rate general workman in the bootmaking line, Mr. Cathro has devoted a considerable time to, and has obtained much proficiency in, the repairing of watches and clocks. He considers himself equal to the most difficult work in this line, and being the only watchmaker in the district he does the whole of the business. Whilst in Lyttelton Mr. Cathro was a member of several societies, holding the rank of "high arch Druid" and "past master" of No. 1 Orange Lodge. In this position he headed the largest procession of Orangemen ever seen in Canterbury.



Return to General Index



Shadows Homepage:

../W-icons/hourglas_thm.jpg