CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1897
DAVENPORT AND SON
Davenport and Son, Plumbers, Gasfitters, Electricians, and Sanitary Engineers. [Henry
Davenport and Robert Henry Davenport], Tinakori Road, Wellington, Telephone 564.
Bankers, Colonial Bank. Mr Henry Davenport is a native of Lancashire, England, and served
his apprenticeship with Mr. McLeod, of the same county. He arrived in New Zealand in 1863,
by the ship `Western,' from Victoria, where he had previously spent some years. On arrival
here he resumed his trade as employee, and in 1864 started his present business as plumber,
gasfitter, electrician, and sanitary engineer. The chief feature of Messrs. Davenport and Son's is
the manufacture of lead-headed nails, for which they have made their name famous, and are
now supplying all parts of the Colony with this article, turning them out in large quantities. On
the premises is a most perfect plant, including five machines of a secret kind, invented and
constructed by themselves, by which the great difficulty of making a beautifully finished, firm
lead-headed nail watertight has been overcome, and the result is that the demand for the nails is
rapidly increasing. There are three hands employed on the premises at present, and Messrs.
Davenport and Son are to be congratulated upon the success of their venture.
Return to General Index