CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1897
Messrs. W. and R. Dickie's Mill
DICKIE, W. and R.
Dickie, W. and R., [William Dickie and Robert Dickie] Flour Millers, Waverley Mills, Waverley. Telegraphic address, "Dickie Bros., Waverley." P.O. Box 19. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence on adjoining estate. This business was established in 1875 by Mr. William Hone, and in 1878 was purchased by Mr. William Dickie sen., father of the present
proprietors, who, after a few years disposed of it to his sons. The buildings are of wood and iron, and, as will be seen from the picture, the mill is three stories high. The whole of the premises are freehold, and the buildings have been very largely increased, the alterations having been made by Messrs. MacFarlane and Son, of Waverley. The buildings, which consist of a grain store and mill, are of a substantial character, the former measuring 20 feet by 38 feet and the latter 24 feet by 36 feet. The mill is driven by a six-feet Pelton water-wheel, made by Price Brothers, of the Thames, Auckland, which works under a head of forty feet, and gives a steady motion to the machinery. The wheat is shot into a bin over a Eureka milling separator for removing all chaff, small shrunk grains, and foreign seeds. It is then elevated into a Cranston scouring machine, which magnetic attachment for polishing and taking out any small pieces of iron that may have got into the wheat. The wheat is then elevated to the top of the mill and passes through a Ganz No. 21 fluted roller mill, to get reduced. From here it is again elevated to the top of the mill into a scalper flour dresser, which separates the bran from the other stock. The bran runs from here through a pair of fluted bran rolls, and is dressed in a centrifugal bran duster, and the bran is now properly cleaned and put into sacks. The stock that comes through the scalper dresser goes into a flour dresser covered with fine silk, which sifts all the fine flour. The courser material, or middlings, goes over a middling purifier, which takes out any small bran specks. It is then ground on a pair of stones and the flour dressed out, and then taken to another pair of stones to reduce what course particles remain; it is then put over another flour dressing reel to take out the flour. The residue now goes to a smooth pair of rolls along with the fine stock from the centrifugal bran duster, and is then dressed on a centrifugal flour dresser to take out the flour. The residue now goes for pollard, and bran is all sacked on the middle floor, from which it can be run down a shoot right into the drays. The material never has to be handled from the time the wheat is emptied over the wheat cleaning machines, until it comes down as flour, pollard, and bran, in separate sacks. The dam which supplies the water for the working of the wheel is half-a-mile long, varying in depth to eighteen feet. The work being carried out under the direct supervision of Mr. Robert Dickie, who is a thorough miller, and quite enthusiastic about his business, is done in a thorough style, and the flour manufactured has attained a reputation which enables it to compete favourably with the best Southern brands. The trade of Messrs. W. and R. Dickie extends throughout a very large district. From Stratford in the north, to Wanganui in the south, a really good business is done, and this may be looked upon as one of the promising industrial firms in the Colony. Messrs. Dickie were born in Canada, and left there with their father's family for Liverpool in 1868. During the same year they set sail from London to New Zealand per ship "Matoka," landing at Lyttelton. They soon pushed on to Wellington, Wanganui and Waverley, and settled in the latter place, where Mr. Dickie established himself as a farmer and stock breeder.
Return to General Index