CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1897

Wellington Province



PALMERSTON NORTH:

DUNK, Mr. Charles

Page 1152



Mr. Chas. Dunk


Mr. Charles Dunn, J.P., Chairman of the Sluggish River Drainage Board, was born in 184[9?], at Horton Priory, Kent, and was educated at Woodchurch, and at Mr. John Clark's Grove House Academy, Folkestone. Brought up to country life, he was on his father's farm till 1874, and, until leaving for Melbourne in 1882, farmed the same on his own account. Coming to Melbourne in 1882 by the Liguria, he crossed the Tasman Sea, and after a short tour in the Colony settled in the Manawatu district, purchasing 1500 acres on the Foxton line [now known as Bainesse], after which the railway station is named. The farm carries about three sheep to the acre, besides cattle and horses. In public and social affairs Mr. Dunk takes great interest as captain of the Manawatu Mounted Rifles which he organized in 1891, and as a member of the committee of the local Agricultural and Pastoral Association. An unattached Mason, he was initiated in Prince Edwin Lodge, No. 25, E.C., one of the old Cinque Port Lodges at Hythe, Kent. In 1874 Mr. Dunk was married to a daughter of the late Mr. T. A. Davenport, of Boulogne-sur-Mer, France, and has two daughters and a son.



Return to General Index



Shadows Homepage:

../W-icons/hourglas_thm.jpg