CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1906

Nelson, Marlborough and Westland



TADMOR VALLEY:

FITCH, Isaac

Page 144

TADMOR VALLEY is a farming district, situated ten miles from the Motupiko railway station, and nineteen miles from the junction of Hope road. The country was opened up about forty years ago, and the earliest settlers were Messrs. Thomas Fawcett, G. W. Paull, F. Needham and Isaac Fitch. The farms vary from 100 to 1600 acres; the bulk of the land is devoted to sheep grazing, and carries at the rate of a sheep and a-half to the acre. Hops thrive in the district, and there are several fair-sized hop-gardens, varying from one to five acres in extant. Splendid crops of oats, potatoes, turnips, etc., are grown. The scenery is attractive; the river teems with trout, and the sportsman can fill his bag with quail, pheasants and rabbits; there are also deer in the district. The Tadmor river rises from the Backbone Range, and the source of the Buller is at the watershed which adjoins Tadmor. Tadmor has a post office, a store and a public school. The railway to the West Coast is laid three-parts of the way down the Tadmor Valley, but has not yet [1905] been opened for traffic.



Return to General Index



Shadows Homepage:

../W-icons/hourglas_thm.jpg