CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1897
Hanlon, P., Livery Stablekeeper. Telegraphic address, "Hanlon, Ashurst." Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Main Street. Mr. P. Hanlon is a native of County Louth, Ireland. In 1876 he crossed over to Liverpool where he remained for some three years. He then came to New Zealand per ship Rakaia, arriving in Wellington in 1879. Coming into the Manawatu district he spent several years in contracting for road formation, mainly on the road between Feilding and Ashurst. After this he was in the employ of a survey party under the Manchester Road Board and subsequently employed by the Government. In 1893 he established himself as above. He has fine stables of wood and iron containing sixteen stalls and three loose boxes, besides several outbuildings for buggies, gigs, brakes, waggons, drays, ploughs, etc. The only hearse in the district is the property of Mr. Hanlon. Carting of every description is undertaken, including the removal of furniture, for which special waggons are provided. His premises, both business and residential, are freehold, and his business is about the best in the district. The coach to and from the railway station, which meets every train, is run by Mr. Hanlon.
Return to General Index