CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1906
Nelson, Marlborough and Westland
Pages 24, 131
SUPERINTENDENTS OF NELSON: ...There were three candidates for the position of first Superintendent of the Province; namely, Mr. E. W. Stafford, Mr. Francis Jollie, and Mr. J. W. Saxton. The elections were held on the 1st of August, 1853, when the returns were: Stafford, 251; Saxton, 206; Jollie, 130. For the five town seats, Dr. Sinclair, Dr. Renwick, Mr. W. Hough, Dr. Bush, and Mr. H. Adams were elected...
WAKEFIELD is a rising township situated seventeen miles from Nelson, on the railway line to Motupiko. The settlers are prosperous, and hops promise to be the staple product of the district; for picking alone a sum of over £2000 was distributed during the season of 1905. Wakefield was named by the late Mr. W. Hough, after his native village in Yorkshire, and after Captain Wakefield, one of the founders of the province, who lost his life in the Wairau massacre. It is one of the chief townships in the Waimeas, and the district is considered very healthy. There are four religious bodies represented, of which the Anglican Church is the most prominent; and there are four lodges. Wakefield has an hotel, and a combined railway station and post and money order office.