CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1897

Wellington Province



WANGANUI:

MENZIES, Edward Munro

Page 1391

Mr. Edward Munro Menzies, the Teacher in charge of the Matarawa Public School, hails from Brighton, Sussex, England, where he was born in 1849. Arriving in Wellington per ship `Forfarshire' in 1873, he was appointed to the Mission School at Otaki, and afterwards to the Awahuri Public School, which position he resigned after two-and-a-half years to take up the native work at Churton College, Wanganui, where he remained for eight years, until the unfortunate collapse of the institution. He was appointed sole teacher at Matarawa in October, 1889. Mr. Menzies is also a lay-reader for the Wanganui Parochial District, having been licensed to that office in 1882 by Bishop Hadfield. Mr. Menzies' father - Mr. Sutherland Menzies - was the founder of the original St. James' Magazine, and the author of `Political Woman,' `Royal Favourites,' `Turkey, Old and New,' and `School Histories,' published by Collins and Co. His brother is at present British Vice-Consul at Liege, Belgium. Mr. Menzies was married in 1874, and had two sons and four daughters.

Matarawa Public School is held in a wooden building, having one room, which has accommodation for fifty pupils, besides vestibule. The school roll shows twenty names, the average attendance being eighteen. The master's house which adjoins, has six rooms; the land attached is about two acres in extent, which is available as a playground.



Return to General Index



Shadows Homepage:

../W-icons/hourglas_thm.jpg