CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1897
Mr. William Mitchell, an old colonist, who arrived in Wellington per ship Gertrude, with his parents in 1841, was born in Halifax, Yorkshire, England in 1820. A brickmaker by trade, he, with his brothers, established a brick-yard in Upper Willis Street, continuing the business for three years. During the Maori war, Mr. Mitchell - then settled on the Porirua Road - served in the Militia, and subsequently in the Armed Constabulary, having several hairbreadth escapes, especially from the murderous chief Rangiatea. Leaving the force in 1850, Mr. Mitchell was married to Miss Catherine Suter, and has had seven sons and four daughters - three of his sons however have suffered violent deaths. Mr. Mitchell was interested in the land now known as Mitchelltown, which derives its name from the family. He built the Royal Tiger Hotel on land at the corner of Abel Smith and Taranaki Streets, and conducted it for ten years, when he sold his interests, retaining the dwelling in which he resides. Mr. Mitchell is well known as a member of and regular attendant at Taranaki Street Wesleyan Church, and enjoys the respect of a large circle of friends.
Return to General Index