CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1906
Nelson, Marlborough and Westland
...Municipal government in Nelson began long before the town was proclaimed a municipality. At first the city was under the jurisdiction of a Board of Works, which was elected under `The Nelson Improvement Act of 1856.' The first election was held at the Court House, Nelson, on the 30th of July, 1857, when the following gentlemen were elected: Charles Harley, Maxwell Bury, John Luck, Joseph Webb, Alexander Rankin, Nathaniel Edwards and William Norgrove. Mr. Maxwell Bury was appointed the first chairman, Mr. J. L. Bailey, secretary, and Mr. William Jennings, overseer...