CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1897
General Storekeeper and Direct Importer, Featherston Store, Fitzherbert Street, Featherston. Branch, Martinborough. Telegraphic address, "Toogood, Featherston." Bankers, Bank of Australasia. This old-established business was founded in 1860 by Mr. J. G. Cox. In 1875 Mr. Toogood purchased it, and has since then rebuilt the premises on their present extensive scale. The property is freehold, built of wood and iron, and two stories in height. The contract for the building was carried out by Mr. D. Cadenhead, from the plans of Mr. W. C. Chatfield, of Wellington. His trade extends over a very large district, including Tauherenikau, Kahautara, Cross Creek, Matarawa, South Featherston, Morrison's Bush, etc. The delivery of goods to these places is made by the conveyances belonging to the firm. The lines imported embrace all the requirements of the trade. The agencies held include the Commercial Union Insurance Company, The Alliance Insurance Company, The Santonine Balsam Company, etc. For the manufactures of the last-named there is a good demand, especially for the sheep remedy and the bot fly exterminator. Mr. Toogood is a native of Hull, and left there in 1859, as third engineer to the SS Victoria, arriving in Dunedin in 1861. He was apprenticed to Mr. Samuelson, engineer, of Hull, completing his term shortly before leaving for the colonies. Before commencing in Featherston, he was for nine years engineer at Kebbell's mill in Manners Street, Wellington. Mr. Toogood still devotes considerable attention to his old trade, and has invented no fewer than four flax-dressing machines, each machine being an improvement upon its predecessor. Mr. Toogood is a member of the local school committee, and a useful man in the district.
Return to General Index