CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1906
Nelson, Marlborough and Westland
Pages 123, 124
Mr. A Tregea
Mr. ARTHUR TREGEA, St. Ann's Ville, Stoke, was born in Nelson in 1859, and is a son of the late Mr. John B. Tregea, who for many years conducted the Commercial Hotel, in Nelson. Mr. Tregea received his education at the state school, Nelson, and afterwards assisted his father in the management of the hotel. For a short time he was in business for himself as a draper, but on the death of his father returned to the Commercial Hotel, which he conducted
successfully up till 1893, when he retired and settled in Nelson. Late in 1902, Mr. Tregea bought his present residence, a fine property of twenty-five acres, at Stoke, where he has since resided. He also owns a freehold farm of 400 acres at Sherry, known as `Precious Metal Farm,' which is at present managed by his son. The grazing of sheep and cattle is the main industry; of the former there are about 350 Romney Marsh and English Leicester crossbreds, and the latter are crossbreds of a Shorthorn type. The markets for the stock are Reefton and Westport. Mr. Tregea is a member of Lodge Victory, English Constitution; the Loyal Nelson Lodge of Oddfellows, and the Maitai Lodge of Druids. He married a daughter of Mr. James McKenzie, of Collingwood, in 1882, and has a family of three sons and three daughters.