CYCLOPEDIA OF NZ 1897

Wellington Province



GREYTOWN:

UDY, Councillor John

Page 903



Councillor John Udy


Councillor John Udy is the second son of the late Mr. Hart Udy, senr. Arriving in New Zealand with his father, he attended a school in Wellington, and after a few years came to the Wairarapa district, working at general farm work, till he joined his father and brothers in the Matarawa sawmill. When his father retired from the sawmill, Mr. Udy commenced farming on his own account. In 1881 he resumed sawmilling, settling at Waihakeke, which mill he is prepared to sell. His present holding, `Waiakakariki,' some seven hundred acres in extent, is sown in English grass, and stocked with sheep and cattle. Mr. John Udy and his brother Mr. William Udy, were the first to open out the flax industry in the Carterton district. The subject of this notice constructed a bridge over the Ruamahunga, twenty-five feet in height, which was used for getting over logs to his sawmill. He is married, and has ten children. With his father and brothers he served in the Greytown Rifles for five years, under Captain Boys. At one time Mr. Udy took active interest as a member of the Greytown Cricket Club.



Return to General Index



Shadows Homepage:

../W-icons/hourglas_thm.jpg