Wellington Province


UDY, Hart, Senr.

Page 874

Udy Family:
Back, left to right: Mr. R. G. Welch, Mr. T. Tillwood, Mr. T. Udy, Mr. Hart Udy, Mr. John Udy, Mr. William Udy, Mr. Jas. Ticehurst
Front, left to right: Mrs. Jane Welch née Udy, Mrs. Sarah Tillwood née Udy, Mrs. T. Udy, Mrs. H. Udy,
Mr. Hart Udy Senr., Mrs. H. Udy, Senr., Mrs. J. Udy, Mrs. W. Udy, Mrs. Ticehurst

Udy, Hart, Senr., twice occupied the mayoral chair of the Borough of Greytown. This well known pioneer, who passed away on the 27th of November, 1890, aged eighty-two years, was born in Cornwall in 1808. He served an apprenticeship as a builder and implement maker, and married in 1832. Seven years later he left England for New Zealand with his wife and family, arriving in Petone in February, 1840, by the ship Duke of Roxburgh. For some time he worked for Sir Francis Molesworth, building the first cutter and the first house of New Zealand woods. After working in Wellington for three years, he went to live at Waiwetu, where he worked at his trade for many years. Removing to Stokes Valley, he erected the first sawmill in 1857. Having secured some valuable bush land at Matarawa, he transferred his family and carried on a sawmilling business till 1865, when he retired, leaving it to his sons. Mr. Udy was at one time a member of the Petone Town Board, and sat on the first Carterton-Taratahi Highway Board. Twice he was elected mayor of Greytown, of which borough he served also as a councillor. In the Greytown Rifles Mr. Udy and his sons served during the native troubles. In Greytown, where he lived during the latter years of his life, he was much beloved. He took an active part in church work, for many years acting as a local preacher in the Wesleyan church. Mr. Udy and his family of four sons and three daughters appear in the accompanying engraving. His widow died in January, 1896, aged eighty-three years. The subject of this sketch was eighty-two years of age at the time when the photograph was taken.

Return to General Index

Shadows Homepage: